Saturday, September 16, 2017

NOTES ON 'A HESITANT MOVE'

 


manipulated still from 'A Hesitant Move'


Idea came from empty white room (not uncommon!)and a book of Kate Moss photos.Then an idea about housemates and issues surrounding them. Wrote a script and I think I asked the actors to speak slowly but can't remember why?!Again sparse dialogue,sometimes without specific meaning,almost with a rhythm sometimes, and the black and white contrasty look.
I was,and am really happy with this film.....the actors Clare,Clare and Ziggy are particular favorites and Ziggy's idea of leather coat and Alana's (hair/makeup)bun hairstyle for her still amaze me.Makeup was standout......2 girls wore black , 1 white.....
I love the colour draining from colour to BW and back again and when the striking music arrives towards the end of the film.My favourite bit is when the coffee mug is placed on the glass top table and makes no sound(was removed)! and the movements the actor makes as she is on the phone in the backyard.
We also had the abstract drummer in the background!(before Alejandro González Iñárritu put it in his film Birdman....a great film).
I had a choice of which film to show at a screening and chose this one, the organizer said he "didn't get it" but went ahead.For a joke at the Q and A  I said "Hands up who didn't get it" and several young ladies put their hands up!   A guy came up afterwards and was completely absorbed by the whole thing.....he loved it.
Never been interested in spoon feeding an audience.I remember someone saying it was the artist's job to ask questions, not give answers.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment